No one enters a rehab program with the intention of having a relapse, but statistics show that, for 60% of those in recovery, it will probably occur during the first 90 days after re-entering “real life.” A relapse does not necessarily mean a return to addiction, though. Whether it is just a slip or a full-blown fall from sobriety depends on you and how well you have prepared to meet this challenge.
Here are five ways to get back to recovery without needing another trip through rehab:
- Rethink your relapse. The temptation is to look at it as a failure, but it may just be the best learning opportunity you have ever had. Did you make a conscious decision to use again, or was it a momentary lapse in judgment? Did you think a relapse was inevitable? Answering these questions honestly will tell you a lot about your commitment to sobriety.
- Utilize your support network. Aftercare support is as important as rehab. Before stress and pressure build up, talk to someone about the challenges you are facing. Sharing your feelings with therapists and other sober colleagues will make you feel less alone and helpless.
- Seek treatment if a sober life is too much to handle. Some rehab programs do not offer adequate treatment for clients who have mental and physical conditions that make life unbearable. If you suspect you need help for a co-occurring condition like depression or bipolar disorder, seek out additional treatment before turning again to drugs or alcohol.
- Review your triggers. What were your feelings when you decided to use again? Who were you with? Recognizing your triggers will help you avoid these situations in the future.
- Empower yourself. Eat well, exercise, and develop new interests to occupy your free time. Practice meditation and gratitude to keep yourself centered. And be ready to develop new coping plans as you encounter new situations at work and in your personal life.
Coast to Coast Recovery Centers Can Help You Avoid Relapse
Finding the right treatment center the first time is the best way to avoid chronic relapse after rehab. That’s where our approach is different. We empower you by offering treatment options that match your unique needs, and we give you time to ask questions and make an informed decision. There is no cost for treatment matching, and we’ll verify your insurance coverage, too. Call 800-210-8229 or fill out the confidential online request to find your options for the treatment and after-rehab support that will lead to your success in a new and sober life.